Privacy and Data Protection
The purpose of this Notice is to set out some information on the collection and processing of your information by Irish Research Council (“We”/”Our”/”Us”). For further information on how we collect, process and share your personal data, please see our Privacy Notice available here.
About this notice
Everyone has rights with regard to the way in which their personal data in handled. During the course of our activities we will collect, store and process personal data about our Applicants, Supervisors, Mentors, Referees, Assessors, Financial Officers in Enterprise Partner Organisations, Research Offices in Higher Education Institutions/Research Performing Organisations (“Participant”). We also collect personal data about the Irish Research Council and SmartSimple employees who are using the online grants management system while performing their work duties.
What data we collect and process
The types of personal data that we will collect and process depends on your particular role in a funding application and/or an award administration process. For all categories of Participants, we will collect and process your names, gender, and email address. For Applicants, additional types of personal data will be collected and processed, such as your date of birth, postal address, ORCID ID, and other data depending on the type of application, including but not limited to information about your academic qualifications, prior work experience, publications and other research outputs, and information about the proposed research and training related activities.
Special Category Personal Data, including health related information, may be processed from time to time. Although this type of information is not specifically requested it is sometimes provided, for example, in support of a request for suspension.
For more details about the types of personal data that we will collect and process please see our Privacy Notice available here.
Why do we collect this personal data
We collect this information in order to:
- process grant applications submitted to us;
- select beneficiaries under individual funding schemes;
- make payments to Irish research bodies in respect of awards;
- collect contributions from co-funding partner organisations;
- fulfil reporting duties towards the Department of Education and Skills;
- meet our reporting and other contractual obligations for awards funded or co-funded by the European Commission and other entities, where applicable;
- publish information about awards granted on our website and to promote our awards using various communication means, including online;
- monitor the progress of individual awards;
- monitor the use of public funding;
- assess the impact and demonstrate the value of publicly-funded research;
- carry out policy and strategy studies;
- fulfil the Irish Research Council’s obligations in the areas of:
- supporting the education and skills development of early-stage researchers and
- providing policy advice on postgraduate education and general research matters to the Higher Education Authority and other national and international bodies.
- to perform various analytics pertaining to our functions, such as the impact of Irish Research Council funding from the point of view of awardee’s future research applications and career progression, disciplinary and territorial/regional distribution of funding and other similar funding trends;
- share application information on a strictly confidential basis with relevant funding and co-funding partner organisations, government departments and other national funding agencies;
- carry out payment, administration and review of any award;
- include details of any award in publicly available databases, reports and documents;
- meet our obligations for public accountability and the dissemination of information.
The legal bases for the processing of your data are:
- for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us as the controller;
- to comply with our legal obligations;
- to perform our contract with you; and
- to protect the vital interests of you or of another natural person, where necessary.
Special Category Personal Data, including health related information, may be processed from time to time. Although this type of information is generally not specifically requested it is sometimes provided, for example, in support of a request for an award suspension. We process your Special Category Personal Data where necessary and proportionate for the performance of the statutory functions conferred upon us.
We share your data with certain third parties such as, for example, expert evaluators/assessors who help us assess your application and other third parties who assist us in fulfilling our functions. Full details regarding the sharing of your personal data can be found in our Privacy Notice which is available here. If you have any questions, our Data Protection Officer can be contacted:
By phone: +353 1 231 7100
Address: Data Protection Officer, Irish Research Council, 3 Shelbourne Buildings, Crampton Avenue, Shelbourne Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland, DO4 C2Y6.
For general web browsing, certain information is recorded in the website log files which may include:
- The top level domain name from which you access the internet
- The IP address of the computer from which you access the website
- The date and time each computer accesses the website
- The pages accessed and the documents downloaded by each computer
- The type and version of the browsers being used to access the website
- The addresses of any third party web-pages which refer visitors to our website
- Keywords used in search engines and directories to find our website
- Keywords and phrases used to search our website
This information is used for statistical purposes only including:
- To find out how many people are visiting our sites
- To identify what pages are accessed more frequently
- To help us improve the information we are supplying to our users
- To make our site more user friendly