IRC and COVID-19
The Irish Research Council (IRC) recognises that the current situation regarding the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is having a significant impact on the research and innovation community, both in Ireland and internationally. We anticipate that the nature of these impacts will continue to evolve over the coming weeks and months, and we note that research projects are experiencing varying degrees of disruption as a result of practical measures taken to contain the virus. Our priority is the safety and wellbeing of people – researchers, research participants, and those who support them.
This page brings together COVID-related information for our awardees and applicants.
We are working on an ongoing basis to understand the nature of impacts on our funded projects and to facilitate appropriate measures. We are also working collaboratively with the Health Research Board (HRB), Science Foundation Ireland (SFI), and higher education institutions to monitor the impact on Ireland’s research community more broadly. To that end, the three principal Irish funders have released a joint statement on the impact of COVID-19.
COVID-19 Funding Updates
The Guidance, FAQ and Call Schedule found here will be updated with any new developments. Please continue to check this page and individual funding pages for the latest information.
Forms for Awardees
Below are forms that awardees can use to submit a COVID-19 related request.
In all cases, the Guidance and FAQ documents above should be read before any form is completed.
If you are submitting a request, you should do so via the programme email (listed below) relevant to your award.
Requests for No-Cost Extension/Budget Reallocation, Suspension or Deferral
If your IRC-funded award has been impacted by COVID-19 and you wish to request a No-Cost Extension/Budget Reallocation or Suspension/Deferral, please use the relevant form(s) below.
N.B. Requests for No-Cost Extensions or Budget Reallocations must be received at least one month before the current end date of the award. Requests for Suspensions or Deferrals of awards should be submitted as soon as possible.
Requests for Costed Extensions
Requests for costed extensions will be considered for awards where the research has been seriously compromised as a result of COVID-19. The Council will consider such requests strictly on a case-by-case basis.
If you require further guidance on this matter, please consult in advance with the programme team relevant to your award.
N.B. Requests for Costed Extensions for awards due to complete in 2020 must be received by 12 June 2020.
COVID-19 Rapid Response Research and Innovation Funding Opportunity 2020 is a cross-Government and public health-led funding programme consisting of two calls:
- Led by the HRB and IRC, this call focuses on research that covers three separate strands: medical countermeasures, health service readiness, and social and policy countermeasures to COVID-19 (closed 9 April).
- Led by SFI, EI, and IDA Ireland, this call focuses on activities that will deliver significant and timely impact for Ireland within the context of the current emergency. (As of 1pm on Friday 1 May, this call has been paused for new submissions. SFI plan to refocus the programme & will announce future opportunities at the end of May.)
26 projects have been funded under the Rapid Response calls as of 29 April. Read our announcement for further details.
Information and Advice
For the most up-to-date information regarding COVID-19 in Ireland, please visit the sites below, which are updated daily:
The Research Data Alliance was asked by the European Commission to rapidly create guidelines for sharing COVID-19 data and other research outputs, and created the RDA COVID-19 working group, with subgroups to address the areas of Omics, Clinical, Epidemiology, Social Sciences and Community Participation. Over 400 researchers and data experts joined and are producing a series of document releases at an unprecedented rate. Anyone working on COVID-19 should review these recommendations to maximise the value of their work: RDA COVID-19 Guidelines and Recommendations.
Please submit your completed COVID-19 related Request Form(s) to the relevant programme email address from the list below.
If you have a question, feel free to contact us through your Research Office or directly at the email address for your programme. The IRC will respond to all queries as swiftly as possible, though some delays may be inevitable; we regret any inconvenience caused.
- Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowship: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship: email@example.com
- Enterprise Partnership Scheme: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Employment Based Programme: email@example.com
- Laureate Programme: firstname.lastname@example.org
- COALESCE: email@example.com
- CAROLINE: firstname.lastname@example.org
- HERA: email@example.com
- UK-Ireland Collaboration in the Digital Humanities Call for Networking Grants: firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Foundations: email@example.com
- Other: firstname.lastname@example.org
Postgraduates can also contact the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) at email@example.com for assistance.