Enterprise Partnership Scheme (Postdoctoral)
The Irish Research Council’s Enterprise Partnership Scheme is a unique national initiative linking excellent researchers to enterprise. The scheme brings great research ideas into an enterprise partner with the support of a higher education institution.
The Irish Research Council partners with enterprises and jointly funds two-year fellowships to highly promising researchers in Ireland. Fellows will hold an Irish Research Council Enterprise Partnership Scheme Postdoctoral Fellowship.
What is an enterprise partner?
- An enterprise partner is a company; a registered charity; a social, cultural or not-for-profit civic organisation; a state-owned enterprise; or an eligible public body that will co-fund the researcher for the duration of the award. The enterprise may be based nationally or internationally.
- A public body is a public service body with specific scientific or cultural infrastructure that is integral to the conduct and completion of the proposed research.
- If a public body or higher education institution is an eligible research performing organisation, it is not an eligible enterprise partner under this scheme.
What we offer
The total value of the fellowship fund will be up to a maximum of €45,985 in any
approved year and consist of the following:
- A salary of €31,275 per annum
- Employer’s PRSI contribution of €3,455 (11.05% of salary) per annum
- Employer’s pension contribution, where applicable, of €6,255 (20% of salary) per annum
- Research expense fund of €5,000 per annum
We co-fund two thirds of the cost for a postdoctoral researcher to undertake research directly related to an organisation’s interests. The Irish Research Council contribute up to €30,657 per annum towards the researcher costs. The enterprise partner commits an annual contribution of €15,328.
Both enterprises and researchers benefit greatly from the programme. Enterprise partners co-fund excellent researchers who dedicate their time to a specific research project related to the organisation. At the end of the project, the researcher will have gained important workplace skills and a fellowship. The enterprise benefits from high value and in-depth research in an area directly aligned with their strategic interests.
Featured enterprise partners
The logos below represent some organisations that have expressed an interest in funding researchers. Contact details can be found under the Call Documentation tab to the right.
Eligible NGOs may avail of a waiver for the first year enterprise partner contribution for all new applications to the Enterprise Partnership Scheme. Please see the Terms and Conditions for more details.
How to apply
Potential applicants should carefully read the 2021 Terms and Conditions to ascertain whether or not they are eligible to apply. Indicative versions of the applicant, supervisor and referee forms are provided for information purposes only. All participants must create and submit their forms via the online system.
|Call open||16:00 (Irish time) 21 October 2020|
|FAQ Deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 25 November 2020|
|Applicant Deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 2 December 2020|
|Supervisor, Enterprise Mentor and Referee Deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 9 December 2020|
|Research Office Endorsement Deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 16 December 2020|
|Outcome of Scheme||April 2021|
|Start of Fellowships||1 September 2021|