Enterprise Partnership Scheme (Postgraduate)
The Irish Research Council’s Enterprise Partnership Scheme is a unique national initiative linking excellent researchers to enterprise. The scheme brings great research ideas into an enterprise partner with the support of a higher education institution.
Google - Online Content Safety Strand
The Google Online Content Safety scholarship is offered by Google Ireland in partnership with the Irish Research Council to recognise and support the development of exceptional and innovative research in areas relevant to the challenge of building a safer and more trusted internet. This scholarship will fund a postgraduate researcher of any background to undertake cutting-edge doctoral research that seeks to influence the future of technology in the area of online content safety, including:
● Online content moderation and governance of content-sharing platforms
● Public policy and legal frameworks for content safety
● Design of systems to address violative behaviour online
What is an enterprise partner?
- An enterprise partner is a company; a registered charity; a social, cultural or not-for-profit civic organisation; a state-owned enterprise; or an eligible public body that will co-fund the researcher for the duration of the award. The enterprise may be based nationally or internationally.
- A public body is a public service body with specific scientific or cultural infrastructure that is integral to the conduct and completion of the proposed research.
- If a public body or higher education institution is an eligible research performing organisation, it is not an eligible enterprise partner under this scheme.
You can search the database for past awards made under the Enterprise Partnership Scheme at this link: research.ie/awardees/
What we offer
Awardees receive an annual package of up to €24,000 per annum comprising of:
- A scholarship stipend of €16,000 per annum
- Fee contribution of up to €5,750 per annum
- Research expense fund of €2,250 per annum
We co-fund two thirds of the cost for a postgraduate researcher to undertake research directly related to an organisation’s interests. The Irish Research Council contributes up to €16,000 per annum towards the researcher costs. The enterprise partner commits an annual contribution of €8,000. Both enterprises and researchers benefit greatly from the programme. Enterprise partners co-fund excellent researchers who dedicate their time to a specific research project related to the organisation. At the end of the project, the researcher will gain workplace skills and a degree by research. The enterprise benefits from high value and in-depth research in an area closely aligned with their strategic interests.
Featured enterprise partners
The logos below represent some organisations that have expressed an interest in funding researchers. Contact details can be found under the Call Documentation tab to the right.
Eligible NGOs may avail of a waiver for the first year enterprise partner contribution for all new applications to the Enterprise Partnership Scheme. Please see the Terms and Conditions for more details.
How to apply
Potential applicants should carefully read the 2021 Terms and Conditions to ascertain whether or not they are eligible to apply. Indicative versions of the applicant, supervisor and referee forms are provided for information purposes only. All participants must create and submit their forms via the online system.
|Call open||16:00 (Irish time) 21 October 2020|
|FAQ deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 25 November 2020|
|Applicant deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 2 December 2020|
|Supervisor, enterprise mentor and referee deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 9 December 2020|
|Research office endorsement deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 16 December 2020|
|Outcome of scheme||mid-April 2021|
|Scholarship start date||1 September 2021|